Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights. Empty
PostSubject: Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights.   Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 1:12 am

Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights. 1443829230
Ben Wiley wrote:
Hi. I'm a guy who likes video games. My favorite video games have been those I've purchased from Nintendo. I love Nintendo. And when I heard about the Nintendo 3DS, I was psyched.

Hi. I'm also a guy who cares about people. The best times in my life have been spent with people. I love people. And when I heard that Nintendo is allowing people to die and suffer grave human rights abuses for the sake of video game console production, I was horrified.

Nintendo isn't alone. The Enough Project, a campaign to end genocide and human rights abuses, has uncovered the practices of many electronics companies that involve a failure to ensure conflict minerals are not being traded for use in those companies' products. And what are conflict minerals? They are minerals that are mined in the Congo under countless abuses of human rights by armed rebel groups. Why has no one stopped this? Because we're doing the exact opposite-- fueling the war with our consumerism.

We can still have the products we enjoy while ensuring conflict minerals are not being used, and the Enough Project has ranked the companies it has surveyed on their action to change their practices and become conflict mineral-free. No one is at the top ranking yet, but several companies have made the change, including Sony and Microsoft, manufacturers of the Playstation 3 and XBox 360. However, Nintendo is one of the few at the bottom of the barrel-- a company that has stubbornly refused to investigate trade chains that bring minerals used in consoles from the mine to the factory. Why is it that they can get away with this? Because their customers haven't threatened a strike.

A strike. What is it? With workers, it's a refusal to work until conditions are met. With consumers, it's a refusal to buy products and services. Without these means, companies have no choice but to change-- or else they will be choked by the neck.

Nintendo's DS system sales are withering, and its 3DS is set to launch for sales in February in Japan and in March everywhere else. These sales are set to upstart Nintendo's next big growth in income, the beginning of a cycle it experiences about every three years. But if customers fail to come out on opening day, or the next day, or the day after that, Nintendo will notice, if not the human rights abuses it is effectively committing, the money disappearing from its company wallet.

What I am asking you to do is to refuse to buy a Nintendo 3DS system until Nintendo announces plans to halt use of conflict minerals in production-- and this can only happen through monitoring of trade systems. I am not in any way opposed to the 3DS itself-- I actually think it's one of the coolest things I've never seen in person. But I am not going to be one of the millions who looks the other way purely for entertainment, and I hope you will join me.

You do not have to be a player of video games to participate. If you are a parent of a video gamer, you can make financial decisions that affect your household. Explain the conflict to your kids, and tell them they won't be playing Nintendo's newest system until Nintendo decides to do the right thing. If you aren't into gaming but you have friends who are (trust me, you know someone), tell them about this and encourage them to get on Facebook and attend this event.

What I hope to do is have enough supporters on this event that we can fix the problem before March. That would be fabulous-- and opening day sales could go on as planned.

If Nintendo announces plans to change, I will message all who have not committed a "No" RSVP for the event. Then, you can go on with your happy shopping, knowing you are not contributing to consumption of conflict minerals.

Please invite all your friends. This can't work if you don't.

Source:https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115366428534785&index=1
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Pein
Non-Essential NPC
Pein

Stature : -6
Macedonia

PostSubject: Re: Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights.   Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 8:54 am

wait why they boycott 3ds? because of conflict minerals? o_E
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights. XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights.   Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 3:28 pm

I don't see what's so bad about this boycott. If Nintendo is, in fact, using conflict minerals in their products, then that's definitely something people should know about and be able to decide for themselves if they want to buy the product or not.
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights. 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

PostSubject: Re: Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights.   Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 5:01 pm

TRF wrote:
I don't see what's so bad about this boycott. If Nintendo is, in fact, using conflict minerals in their products, then that's definitely something people should know about and be able to decide for themselves if they want to buy the product or not.

Whether they are or aren't, I doubt the group can pull it off.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights.   Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:26 am

Basically electronic companys buy raw materials from african countries that they use in the manufacture of electronics. A just cause IMO.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights.   Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Group boycotts 3DS because it "abuses" Human Rights.
Page 1 of 1