Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media Empty
PostSubject: Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media   Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:31 am

Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media 15yccq10

Quote :
While the casual gamers may not care about having a tangible product in their hands, the hardcore might always care.

According to a recently released Wedbush Securities report, the idea that all consumers are shifting towards digital is a "commonly held misperception." The report in question states that the hardcore gamers will continue to stick with physical media.

"Many investors believe that consumers are abandoning packaged products in favor of mobile and social games, and think that the publishers who have lost share will never recover. We think that this thesis is only partly true; in our view, casual gamers are likely to shift their playing time from packaged products to mobile and social games, but hard core gamers are far less likely to do so.

If we are right, the packaged goods business should be viewed as consisting of hard core games (the vast majority of sales on the Xbox 360 and PS3) and more casual games (the vast majority of sales on the Wii and DS). Our thesis has been borne out by the 2011 figures (according to the NPD Group), with Xbox 360 software sales up 12%, PS3 software sales up 4%, DS software sales down 21% and Wii software sales down 31%."

The report also noted that there is a "large overlap of social gamers among the older and female demographics," which isn't going to surprise anyone who understands this industry. Furthermore, with so many games coming out, consumers have become more selective and are often limiting their purchases to big AAA releases, which has led to an overall decline in software sales. For a 2012 prediction, the firm believes sales will continue to slide over the summer but should rebound during the holidays, with "3DS and Vita software making up for lost sales on other systems."

Yeah, it's true that the casual gamer might probably opt for the digital choice; it's generally faster and easier, and they don't care about having a game library. But the hardcore do, and having a bunch of files on a video screen doesn't constitute a collection, as any collector will tell you.

Source: PSX
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media   Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:54 am

Quite weird since the most dedicated competitive gamers play on PC which people barely buy physical copies of.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media   Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:11 pm

I will still be buying physical media.

That being said....i havent actually bought a game since Killzone 3 haha.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media   Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:23 pm

I will remain with physical media unless it's a rental, or a good deal on steam.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media   Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hardcore gamers will stick with physical media
Page 1 of 1