Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review

Go down 
+2
Archduke
Mecha
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review Empty
PostSubject: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review Gerstmann_gamespot1

Quote :
Where do you go to get your reliable reviews?

We're sure you remember the fiasco: Jeff Gerstmann leaving GameSpot under suspicious circumstances after posting a less-than-favorable Kane & Lynch review, a game that received a lot of advertising and promotion at GameSpot's website.

After he left, there was quite the exodus, as a number of GameSpot employees left. The general consensus was that Gerstmann had been fired for not playing ball; i.e., the site was given a lot of advertising revenue for Kane & Lynch, and the publisher expected a good review in return. Leaked information from other former staffers pseudo-confirmed this, although Gerstmann has never spoken about it since leaving and forming Giant Bomb.

That has all changed now, though: In an interview with GameSpot's John Davison, Gerstmann confirmed why he was fired. He said he was called into a room by CBS management (who owns GameSpot), and they told him he was terminated because apparently, he "couldn't be trusted" as the editorial director. Evidently, this decision came about specifically due to his Kane & Lynch review. Gerstmann also gave the example of how Sony threatened to pull ad money if Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction earned anything less than a perfect score. GameSpot gave it a 7.5, but we didn't hear anything after that.

Bottom line? Websites are businesses. Especially big websites. They're free to read so their only revenue comes from ads, and big-money ads can often come from game publishers...who just might expect a little something in return besides the advertising space. It's a tough world.

Source: PSX
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Kane & Lynch was absolute dogshit. I don't disagree with him giving it a bad review.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Old news is Old.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Chobo wrote:
Old news is Old.

Did you even read the article?
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 11:43 pm

Mecha wrote:
Chobo wrote:
Old news is Old.

You and the article are 5 years late to the party.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 12:12 am

Padders wrote:
Mecha wrote:
Chobo wrote:
Old news is Old.

Dude, the article is about him speaking for the first time since leaving GameSpot, and confirming all the rumors. The article is even aware how old the news on Jeff Gerstmann being fired is. I swear it's like you guys just read the title and don't bother reading the article.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 2:05 am

Mecha wrote:
Padders wrote:
Mecha wrote:
Chobo wrote:
Old news is Old.

Dude, the article is about him speaking for the first time since leaving GameSpot, and confirming all the rumors. The article is even aware how old the news on Jeff Gerstmann being fired is. I swear it's like you guys just read the title and don't bother reading the article.
Publishers paying for reviews or threaten to pull out their support on gaming websites. Writers and editors getting fired because they gave a game bad review score. Behind the scenes agreements. We already knew that this sort of shit happens for years Mecha, have you been living under a rock or just only got into gaming this generation? It is a business after all.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 2:24 am

Padders wrote:
Mecha wrote:
Padders wrote:
Mecha wrote:
Chobo wrote:
Old news is Old.

Publishers paying for reviews or threaten to pull out their support on gaming websites. Writers and editors getting fired because they gave a game bad review score. Behind the scenes agreements. We already knew that this sort of shit happens for years Mecha, have you been living under a rock or just only got into gaming this generation? It is a business after all.

Well excuse me for posting news on what goes on in the gaming industry.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 9:34 am

Get off of Mecha's back. The article is about Jeff Gerstmann confirming why he was fired. So now we can be completely sure. I see nothing wrong with that.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 12:02 pm

I have no issue with posting the article, but I do have an issue with the misleading title. It should read "Jeff Gerstmann on being fired" or something along those lines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review   Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jeff Gerstmann fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review
Page 1 of 1