Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor?

Go down 
+2
Jack the Spectre
Mecha
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? Empty
PostSubject: PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor?   PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 7:50 pm

PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? Playstation4-2

Quote :
The latest next-gen on dit claims Sony will abandon the Cell line of processors for its next hardware outing.

Kotaku cites industry sources for the news. According to the site, Sony will give up on the Cell architecture entirely rather then produce a follow up to current tech.

Developers have struggled with the unusually engineered Cell chipset since its introduction with the PlayStation 3; in the console’s early years, while middleware was thin on the ground, it was widely criticised. Prehaps as a result, creator Ken Kutaragi’s vision for the chip never quite materialised.

The rumour follows last week’s report that Sony has partnered with AMD for the next PlayStation hardware.

Sony does not comment on rumour or speculation, and has repeatedly stated that it has no plans to announce new hardware any time soon.

Source: VG247
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor?   PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 9:21 pm

But then the graphics will suck . . .
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor?   PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Naughty Dog is pissed
Back to top Go down
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

Stature : 39
UK
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor?   PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:32 pm

I think they could both use AMDs APUs.. for those who dont know theyre a CPU+GPU hybrid

at a lower cost to produce and they support DX11 would make sense but hey its all speculation
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor?   PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:37 pm

So all that investment for nothing?
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor?   PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:11 am

An expensive experiment, all because some devs couldnt be bothered learning new tech.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor?   PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PS4 will not use Sony’s Cell Processor?
Page 1 of 1