Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to enjoy our General Gaming, and Off-Topic (except Debates and Archives) categories at the following links:
http://www.g7gaming.net/c6-general-gaming
http://www.g7gaming.net/c7-off-topic

Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.

Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Suggestions for PC i'm planning to build

Go down 
AuthorMessage
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Stature : 39
in front of computer Male
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Suggestions for PC i'm planning to build    Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:10 am

So I'm planning to build a PC for a sort of school project in "computer repair II" class which will be next semester,
I'm not so much of a tech person, but i ain't all that ignorant either (at least I don't think so) the teacher and students who have already build computers are gonna be helping. So i'm not all that worry about the process of building it.

What i'm not all so sure about however is the parts that i should choose, i have actually spent hours looking into hardware
and everything that i'm gonna need to build the PC, but it never hurts to hear what others have to say, and perhaps
point out mistakes and give some advice.

Why not just ask the teacher or students in class? well i don't really know any of the geeks from my "computer repair I" class, and i don't know the
teacher that well. I just don't wanna go up front and show everyone the parts i chose and end up looking like a total noob in front
of everyone cuz i chose horrible hardware. I will of course let them have a say on what they think i should choose after i'm done.

I know only some people on here are PC gamers, and i should probably choose another forum to ask advice, but i tried that
before and the whole community ignored my post, guess a noob like me doesn't deserve tips on a PC forum. Sad

So i'll post what i have chosen, and hopefully the G7 community will help me out. :cheers:

Starting with the CPU

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) $215

I choose the core i5 2500k because the price is about the same as the new FX 8120 amd CPU which is an 8 core processor,
and it actually outperforms it in many tests. Surprised

The CPU cooler

ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Blue LED $70

I was gonna go with a cheaper cooler like the V8 ( it looks uber cool ) but i really liked the black pearl nickle plating, plus blue lights

The Motherboard

ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $215

I had a hard time choosing a motherboard, mostly because i wanted a red ASUS motherboard that was compatible with intel but they were all
too damn expensive, so i had to go with blue at the end, i compared many of them and was happy with this motherboard's features and price.

The GPU

SAPPHIRE Toxic 100312TXSR Radeon HD 6950 2GB $290

I looked and compared many 6950's, read reviews and what not, this card seemed to be faster than most of the others (880MHz core clock)
and it is also a 2GB, while some of the others were 1GB. Also it has a blue logo which matches with the blue theme 8)

The Memory

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $100

The main thing i was looking for was blue memory, and was happy to find these, i thought the price was reasonable for 16GB.

The HDD

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" $110

I was looking for a cheap 1TB HDD, there were a couple, some very good ones were all sold out, so i ended up with this one.

The power supply

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified $100

I know its more power that what i need, but i am planning on getting a second 6950 later on, so i thought i might as well get enough
watts that will allow me to support two of them, i thought the price was good, also it has a blue light :)

The optical drive

ASUS 24X DVD Burner $20

I wanted to go with a Blu Ray as well, but it is not really necessary at the moment, i do all my movie watching at the living room. Cheap price.

The computer case

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower $160

Fits video cards up to 17.5" big, washable air filters, cpu cut out for easy cpu cooler installation, and perforated front bezel for enhanced air intake.
I liked all them features, i still think i can find a better one, so i'm still on the lookout. Again, BLUE lights! :megusta:

And the monitor

Asus ML238H 23" 1920 x 1080 2ms Full HD Swivel and Tilt adjustable LEDBacklight LCD $180

I compared many monitors under $200, and this one convinced me, LED backlight technology, full HD 1080p, 10,000,000:1 contrast ratio.
Good monitor in my opinion.

It all adds up to $1460
Financial Aid FTW!

So yeah please give me some feedback, only thing i ask is that you don't just tell me something like...GET A RADEON HD 6990!!!
I'm trying not to spend more than the total i already have, perhaps there are better motherboards or video cards around the same price
or less that i don't know about, maybe the cpu cooler i chose sucks, or there are better ones for cheaper. Maybe you know of a better
computer case, maybe something i chose isn't very reliable. Or maybe you know a website where i can get my hardware for cheaper,
i'm ordering from newegg.

Anything that might help me out will be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blixtstorm
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss

Stature : 18
Sweden Male
Playing : TDU2 (PC) / Minecraft (Tekkit modpack)

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for PC i'm planning to build    Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:01 am

16gb memory is almost overkill. 8gb is more then enough even for heavy use such as video editing. For the most time having massive amounts of memory will often cause stability problems.

If you want to boost some performance you should get like a 60gb SSD. Install the OS and like one or two games on it. This is not necessary however. 1TB is more then enough... let me check, I use quite much space and use around 700-800Gb so for a normal use the 1TB disc is good.

i5-2500k is a solid processor and easy to overclock to around 4.4ghz stable on air. Just ask Mike if you want him to praise it. The AMD 8120 and 8150 are not 8 cores really, they have 8 bulldozer modules but 2 bulldozer modules works as a normal core. So they are more like quad cores. The best AMD out there is the 1100T, and that is cheap as hell.

The HD6950 is a very good graphics card. Not sure if that version you want can be unlocked to "6970". The best thing with AMD/ATI cards is that they are faster at higher resolutions then Nvidia cards and the screen is 1080p so you will see a performance increase. You should probably be able to have 2-3 screens on the same card without any difference really.

The CPU cooler is not the best in class, and if you want to overclock more you should get a Noctua NH-D14. Probably the best air cooler on the market. Or a corsair H40 water cooler just for the cpu.

Svecia Memor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for PC i'm planning to build    Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:19 pm

@Blixtstorm wrote:
16gb memory is almost overkill. 8gb is more then enough even for heavy use such as video editing. For the most time having massive amounts of memory will often cause stability problems.

If you want to boost some performance you should get like a 60gb SSD. Install the OS and like one or two games on it. This is not necessary however. 1TB is more then enough... let me check, I use quite much space and use around 700-800Gb so for a normal use the 1TB disc is good.

i5-2500k is a solid processor and easy to overclock to around 4.4ghz stable on air. Just ask Mike if you want him to praise it. The AMD 8120 and 8150 are not 8 cores really, they have 8 bulldozer modules but 2 bulldozer modules works as a normal core. So they are more like quad cores. The best AMD out there is the 1100T, and that is cheap as hell.

The HD6950 is a very good graphics card. Not sure if that version you want can be unlocked to "6970". The best thing with AMD/ATI cards is that they are faster at higher resolutions then Nvidia cards and the screen is 1080p so you will see a performance increase. You should probably be able to have 2-3 screens on the same card without any difference really.

The CPU cooler is not the best in class, and if you want to overclock more you should get a Noctua NH-D14. Probably the best air cooler on the market. Or a corsair H40 water cooler just for the cpu.

I see, i shall switch to 8GB then, my question now is...should i get 4X2GB or 2X4GB?

Yeah i heard of people installing the OS on an SSD, i just honestly don't know how that works, do you use the SSD for the OS only?
and if so then wouldn't something like 20GB be big enough?

Yeah i plan to do some overclocking with the help of youtube, bulldozer is not 8 cores?
why do they advertise it as "the first 8 core cpu for desktop computers"? something along those lines.
I was actually thinking of using the 1100T as my cpu at one point, but research lead me to the i5.

Oh yeah i believe i heard that Blackbond guy from youtube say something about unlocking his video card to a 6970, i wasn't sure
what he meant then, and i'm still a little puzzled on how that works. I shall look into it and see if the card i chose is able to do so,
Eyefinity is one of the reasons i chose AMD over Nvidia, so i do plan to get another monitor in the future.

I see, the Noctua seems really big, i'm sure it would fit in the case, but wouldn't it interfere with other components on the motherboard like the memory?
i just looks so wide from reviews i saw on youtube.

Thanks bro, you really helped out

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard

UK Male
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for PC i'm planning to build    Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:39 pm

almost identical to my rig : P good choice

I see, i shall switch to 8GB then, my question now is...should i get 4X2GB or 2X4GB?.... 2 4GB modules

Yeah i heard of people installing the OS on an SSD, i just honestly don't know how that works, do you use the SSD for the OS only?
and if so then wouldn't something like 20GB be big enough? I have my OS on a SSD its the same process if your installing it on a HDD btw

Yeah i plan to do some overclocking with the help of youtube no need i can help you with that the mobo your using is the same as mine all you need to do is change the multiplier and adjust the vcore till its stable check this video for more info

I see, the Noctua seems really big, i'm sure it would fit in the case, but wouldn't it interfere with other components on the motherboard like the memory?
i just looks so wide from reviews i saw on youtube. im not sure if vengeance ram fits the HSF you want the heat fins might get in the way but you wont need a noctua anyway a cheap HSF is all you need the 2500k is fine with the stock HSF but since your OC'ing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for PC i'm planning to build    Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:59 pm

@Mikenuge wrote:
almost identical to my rig : P good choice

I see, i shall switch to 8GB then, my question now is...should i get 4X2GB or 2X4GB?.... 2 4GB modules

and if so then wouldn't something like 20GB be big enough? I have my OS on a SSD its the same process if your installing it on a HDD btw

Yeah i plan to do some overclocking with the help of youtube no need i can help you with that the mobo your using is the same as mine all you need to do is change the multiplier and adjust the vcore till its stable check this video for more info

i just looks so wide from reviews i saw on youtube. im not sure if vengeance ram fits the HSF you want the heat fins might get in the way but you wont need a noctua anyway a cheap HSF is all you need the 2500k is fine with the stock HSF but since your OC'ing

Alright, i'll go 2X4GB then, i'll look for a good cheap SSD and add it to my list, i hear it makes boot time a lot faster, but are there any more benefits?
Oh awesome bro, i'll make sure to msg you when the time for overclocking comes, unfortunately i gotta wait till January :x

Yeah that thing looks too big from the sides, so i'll probably end up getting what i originally wanted, or something else if i find anything.
I don't know much about heatsink fans.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard

UK Male
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for PC i'm planning to build    Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Well anything you have on your SSD files, games & OS so on will open a lot faster it allows much better multitasking you can open up a ton of programs in seconds it uber kewl

60gb will do for your OS and a few programs but games and shit will take up much more space i only has 20gb left Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for PC i'm planning to build    Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:24 am

I see, that explains more, sounds like something that could be handy.
If only they weren't so damn expensive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for PC i'm planning to build    

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for PC i'm planning to build
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Generation7 - Gaming :: PC Gaming :: Hardware-
Jump to: