Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review Empty
PostSubject: David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review   David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 2:04 am

David Jaffe wrote:
Eurogamer's 'controversial' review* of Uncharted 3 reminds me of why I love that site's reviews.

I also loved their fair and insightful criticism of Calling All Cars back in the day; how they sussed out the specific reasons for the lack of depth in our game. God, how I wish I had been able to articulate and even realize that flaw during CAC's development! We coulda made some simple changes that would have resulted in a much better title!**

As for U3, I've yet to play the campaign mode, but I played the beta over the summer and really liked it; I enjoyed it more than 99% of human based shooters on the market. And I'm sure I'll love the U3 campaign when I pick it up next week (just as I've loved the earlier Uncharted games).

BUT…

…Eurogamer's conclusion/criticism about games that are super heavy on the 'experience' at the expense of the 'play' (like they claim Uncharted 3 is and like- by my own admission- GOD OF WAR 1 is***) is wonderfully thought out and presented and the only reason it's been labeled 'controversial' has nothing to do with the review itself and everything to do with the sad state of game consumers who have been so effectively conditioned by a number of the gaming press/gaming PR machines that these gamers leap to a title's defense-not that this gem of a game needs defending- without even being open to the reviewer's criticism (be it valid or not). That's tragic. What's even more tragic is I would argue the games medium itself has been damaged by this practice. Irrevocably? No. But it has taken its toll for sure.

So there's that.

BUT…

Besides having some great insight, what's great about the Eurogamer review is that it manages to be both positive and critical at the same time (Garsh! Wonder of Wonders! How'd they do that?!?!)

It doesn't bash U3 at all (for to do so would just be trolling for hits since it's clear there ain't a thing in U3 that is bash worthy) and it clearly sings the game's many wonderful praises and achievements. But it does call out what some people consider a fundamental flaw in many of today's console titles where making 'cinematic experiences'**** seems to have become a more important goal than making games. And it's nice to see that level of criticism and insight in games journalism, especially with a game as hyped and anticipated (and as amazingly great) as Uncharted 3. How refreshing that a great, hyped, and soon-to-be much loved game can be praised while at the same time intelligently and non mean-spiritedly criticized for what a reviewer thinks (agree or not) are genuine issues. Wow, that's just like big boy writing! And I love it! :)
Err, ouch?!

http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-take-on-eurogamers-controversial.html
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review   David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 2:58 am

Jaffe knows his shit.
Back to top Go down
TheVolusBioticGod
Non-Valued Member
Non-Valued Member
TheVolusBioticGod

Stature : 0

PostSubject: Re: David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review   David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 4:35 am

the man lost all credibility when he went on the tester, if he goes back egoraptor will fuck him up
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review   David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 5:22 am

The game got 8/10 what's the problem?
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review   David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 5:31 am

Stoney wrote:
The game got 8/10 what's the problem?
Read the last paragraph:
David Jaffe wrote:
It doesn't bash U3 at all (for to do so would just be trolling for hits since it's clear there ain't a thing in U3 that is bash worthy) and it clearly sings the game's many wonderful praises and achievements. But it does call out what some people consider a fundamental flaw in many of today's console titles where making 'cinematic experiences'**** seems to have become a more important goal than making games. And it's nice to see that level of criticism and insight in games journalism, especially with a game as hyped and anticipated (and as amazingly great) as Uncharted 3. How refreshing that a great, hyped, and soon-to-be much loved game can be praised while at the same time intelligently and non mean-spiritedly criticized for what a reviewer thinks (agree or not) are genuine issues."
That's the problem.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review   David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 6:41 am

Jaffe is the man.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review   David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Jaffe is a legend. He knows his shit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review   David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Jaffe responds to Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review
Page 1 of 1