Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

F.E.A.R. 3 Review

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

F.E.A.R. 3 Review  Empty
PostSubject: F.E.A.R. 3 Review    F.E.A.R. 3 Review  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 7:45 pm

The title of this game may mislead some into thinking that it is a game of constant frights, but even without that Day 1 Studios’ F.E.A.R. 3 (or F.3.A.R.?) is a solid shooter with a decent story and a good twist ending.

Story
It starts off nine months after the events of both the first and second F.E.A.R. games and Point Man has been captured by Armacham Security. While under interrogation, Point Man’s brother Paxton Fettel helps him break out and the two forms an awkward (as in the fact Paxton was shot in the head by Point Man), uneasy team. The two go about uncovering and trying to forget their past as test subjects and to find their pregnant mother, Alma. Although Paxton wants to help Alma and truly become no less than a god, Point Man is undecided throughout the campaign and will be until the intense ending.

Gameplay
The gameplay in F.E.A.R. 3 is nothing to special compared to any other shooter on the market. Any player of the other releases in the F.E.A.R. series will come to know the somewhat generic shooting mechanics mixed with the slow-mo abilities of Point Man, which was rather disappointing that they didn’t up the ante or add any new real gameplay aspects besides a new, rather clunky cover system while playing as Point Man, the silent protagonist from the first F.E.A.R. Luckily, we have the option to play as Paxton Fettel, who accompanies Point Man throughout the story. He is unlocked when you beat a mission with Point Man, or when playing coop. Paxton has some interesting characteristics, like being able to take over the body of an enemy, which is always fun. But getting down to it, the core gameplay is nothing to write home about.

What really surprised me about this game was the multiplayer. There is no typical team death match as the modes are more centered on the paranormal setting. There are four multiplayer game modes titled “F***king Run” “Contractions” “Soul Survivor” and “Soul King”. “F***king Run” throws you and 3 others in an all out firefight trying to survive against waves of enemies. Oh yeah, there is also a “Wall of Death” chasing you. There are different safe rooms you have to get to. If one player goes down, you can revive them, but if they die you are totally done. “Contractions” is like Gears of War’s “Horde” mode where you fight off waves of enemies. Although in this version, the more waves you go deep, the heavier the fog becomes, making the map more and more dangerous. “Soul Survivor” puts one player into the shoes of a “Spectre”, who much like Paxton Fettel, can possess enemy bodies, which he must do to kill the other three players and turn them into Spectres as well. “Soul King” is very similar to “Soul Survivor” but it puts all four of the players as Spectres and they must possess AI enemy bodies to kill each other an collect fallen soul. What I truly love about F.E.A.R. 3’s multiplayer is the amount of teamwork and cooperation is needed to win. Of course you can win being a lone wolf, but working as a team is much easier and more satisfying.

Presentation
Graphics in F.E.A.R. 3 are pretty to look at but nothing spectacular. The good blood effects and limbs flying from bodies adds a good realistic effect but the game is no where along the lines of graphical power houses like Crysis. Although the game does look significantly better than both of the other F.E.A.R. titles. The sound is what really makes the game. The gun effects are good, but it’s the eerie music and scary roaring off “monsters” that really help the fear factor. Hearing the footsteps of an unknown creature behind you then turning around to see it screaming in your face is one of the few good frights in the game.

The Size-Up
Fans of the story, like me, will not be disappointed with the games twists and turns, especially near the end. But if you are looking for the next big shooter or a game that will give you a lot of good scares, you might want to turn elsewhere.

Last edited by TheJubJub5721 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

F.E.A.R. 3 Review  Empty
PostSubject: Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Review    F.E.A.R. 3 Review  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:20 pm

Boooo....no score.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

F.E.A.R. 3 Review  Empty
PostSubject: Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Review    F.E.A.R. 3 Review  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Arcana wrote:
Boooo....no score.

I don't do review scores.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

F.E.A.R. 3 Review  Empty
PostSubject: Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Review    F.E.A.R. 3 Review  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:08 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Arcana wrote:
Boooo....no score.

I don't do review scores.
BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Anyways good review. Might pick it up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Franko
Area Boss
Area Boss
Franko

Stature : 20
Southern Fairy
Playing : Meh

F.E.A.R. 3 Review  Empty
PostSubject: Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Review    F.E.A.R. 3 Review  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 5:48 pm

I like this sort of review. Scores are stupid and not needed
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

F.E.A.R. 3 Review  Empty
PostSubject: Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Review    F.E.A.R. 3 Review  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 6:03 pm

I see it's cool to hate on review scores now.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

F.E.A.R. 3 Review  Empty
PostSubject: Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Review    F.E.A.R. 3 Review  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
I see it's cool to hate on review scores now.

I never liked review scores, they seemed pointless to me. I kind of try and take after CGR in their review style.

EDIT: Also, I updated the review adding more detail to the multiplayer and what not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

F.E.A.R. 3 Review  Empty
PostSubject: Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Review    F.E.A.R. 3 Review  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

F.E.A.R. 3 Review
Page 1 of 1