Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Buying used games = Piracy?

Go down 
+6
TheJubJub5721
Stigma
BioDemon
Jack the Spectre
Bluenose
2Sugoi2Die
10 posters

Yes
 No
View results
AuthorMessage
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Buying used games = Piracy? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

Buying used games = Piracy? Empty
PostSubject: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:07 pm

This topic kinda got a boosted up in gaming topic when Capcom lastest Resident Evil doesn't allow you to delete the save data and these gaming stores are going to reject trade ins for this game.

Do you think buying a used games is piracy? Selling a game you longer play to a friend is piracy? Taking a game into Gamestop/EBgames is pircay?
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Yes and no. Although I feel it is unfair to some great developers out there (which I usually do pay full for) I have to think about myself before them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Buying used games = Piracy? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Absolutely not. The law gives you the legal right to resell games, but it does not give you the right to copy and distribute it. It's unfortunate that developers make less money off of their games due to used game sales, but they can help lower that and still look good. Look at EA. Aside from the online pass, they actually handle used game sales quite well by offering the Limited Editions of games.
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

Stature : 48
America

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:02 pm

I could care less about the laws, it's the same shit, the devs still see no money.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:22 pm

I'll just leave this here:

Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Lol hell no, anyone who thinks that is just grasping at straws to justify piracy. Fuck steal if you want I don't care but don't try to justify it that's just stupid. If you buy a used game that means there has already been a sale. There are many scenarios when a new copy isn't available so you buy used, and someone who buys used might like the game a lot and buy the sequel new or buy DLC for it.

Maybe instead of fucking over customers devs could actually make an incentive to keep the game instead of selling it.
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

America

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm not trying to justify piracy, the devs see no money from the game weather it's piracy or buying used. They are both just as bad as each other in my eyes.

EDIT: Watched the video, I probably would be against buying used cars/movies/cell phones if I cared about the industry or the people making the products, but I don't. The only industry I care about is the video game industry and used games hurt it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:47 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
Lol hell no, anyone who thinks that is just grasping at straws to justify piracy. Fuck steal if you want I don't care but don't try to justify it that's just stupid. If you buy a used game that means there has already been a sale. There are many scenarios when a new copy isn't available so you buy used, and someone who buys used might like the game a lot and buy the sequel new or buy DLC for it.

Maybe instead of fucking over customers devs could actually make an incentive to keep the game instead of selling it.
Exactly. I have no issue with providing an incentive for those who buy new and I don't have a problem with developers supporting their game to extend its life. What I do have a problem with is when companies like EA and Capcom screw over their used-game purchasers with shit like online passes and the inability to delete save data.

Bio, I find it amusing that you're equating buying something used to flat-out stealing. Sure, the developer makes zero on each one, but one is legal and one is not. It's within my rights as a consumer to buy a game, cellphone, car, DVD, etc. from a retailer, a friend, someone on eBay, etc.

The legality of each one is something that shouldn't be simply brushed off as unimportant.
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

America

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:56 pm

TRF wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

Exactly. I have no issue with providing an incentive for those who buy new and I don't have a problem with developers supporting their game to extend its life. What I do have a problem with is when companies like EA and Capcom screw over their used-game purchasers with shit like online passes and the inability to delete save data.

Bio, I find it amusing that you're equating buying something used to flat-out stealing. Sure, the developer makes zero on each one, but one is legal and one is not. It's within my rights as a consumer to buy a game, cellphone, car, DVD, etc. from a retailer, a friend, someone on eBay, etc.

The legality of each one is something that shouldn't be simply brushed off as unimportant.
I don't care about legality, in the end, pirating and buying used = no money to the dev, you can go ahead and buy used games all day, I don't care. But I'm not going to, because I enjoy supporting the industry by buying new games. js
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:14 pm

BioRevenant wrote:
I don't care about legality, in the end, pirating and buying used = no money to the dev, you can go ahead and buy used games all day, I don't care. But I'm not going to, because I enjoy supporting the industry by buying new games. js

Piracy - 1 new game copy purchase -- downloaded by thousands of people

Used - 1 new game copy purchase -- sold and re bought about 1-3 times.

Yes they do get more money from used sales because someone had to have bought that game in the first place. If 500,000 used copies are sold, that means they've sold at least a couple hundred thousand new copies of their game. If a game has been pirated 500,000 times then hell, all that could have come from less than 10 copies.

In addition, some people sell their old games to get money for new ones.
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

America

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:21 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
BioRevenant wrote:

Piracy - 1 new game copy purchase -- downloaded by thousands of people

Used - 1 new game copy purchase -- sold and re bought about 1-3 times.

Yes they do get more money from used sales because someone had to have bought that game in the first place. If 500,000 used copies are sold, that means they've sold at least a couple hundred thousand new copies of their game. If a game has been pirated 500,000 times then hell, all that could have come from less than 10 copies.

In addition, some people sell their old games to get money for new ones.
Fine, piracy hurts the industry a lot more then used games. That said, used games still hurt the industry, and that is something I (personnaly) am not going to support.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 pm

It's not piracy, but it kind of is to the devs.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Agreed, but I don't think buying used games is wrong. I mean, there are too many ways that a developer could lose money. Hell, if Stigma loans me a copy of God of War III, that's money that Santa Monica is not seeing.

Piracy is on an entirely different level of wrong compared to buying used games. I purchased used games because as a consumer, protecting the industry comes second to my satisfaction.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 10:39 pm

TRF wrote:
Agreed, but I don't think buying used games is wrong. I mean, there are too many ways that a developer could lose money. Hell, if Stigma loans me a copy of God of War III, that's money that Santa Monica is not seeing.

Piracy is on an entirely different level of wrong compared to buying used games. I purchased used games because as a consumer, protecting the industry comes second to my satisfaction.

But in this situation it wouldn't be as bad as leaking a game and pirating it. Stigma had to buy that copy of GoW3 to give it to you. And even if he bought it used then someone else must have owned it before him. So therefore, buying preowned games isn't as damaging as pirating a copy.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 pm

Alanski wrote:
So therefore, buying preowned games isn't as damaging as pirating a copy.
I think we're on the same side here, lol.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 12:21 am

TRF wrote:
Alanski wrote:

I'm on the better side of that side. Get at me nublet.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 am

Alanski wrote:
TRF wrote:
Alanski wrote:

I'm on the better side of that side. Get at me nublet.
Buying used games = Piracy? Come-at-me-bro
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 1:22 am

NO!!!
Even if the game is completed and is not deleted, it still wouldn't be counted as piracy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 11:44 am

Lol no.
I can trade in anything I own somewhere. Why should games be exempt?
That being said, every games store I can think of supports trade ins.
I think it is unfair on the developers because anyone going to that store could easily buy a preowned game right there and then. Maybe if stores didn't sell pre-owned games then people would need to make the extra effort of going to different stores to find a pre-owned game. That way the option is still there for those who want it but it isn't there right before their eyes as an alternative to a brand new game.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 2:01 pm

The only game I bought pre owned was God of War III, that cost me about 20 euro (GoW was released on the 19th of March I got around October). New release pre owned games that are been sold by retailers just aren't worth it, well here anyway.

Halo: Reach cost me 50 euro, yet there was a pre-owned copy in the same store for 44.99, who would buy that? The actual retail copy was only an extra 5 euro.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying used games = Piracy?   Buying used games = Piracy? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1