Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital Empty
PostSubject: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 11:47 am

Glad to hear. :)
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Why are they making a big deal that he's shooting the movie on film? Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital 2590470549
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 5:57 pm

Mecha wrote:

Why are they making a big deal that he's shooting the movie on film? Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital 2590470549

Audiences can't tell the difference? Then why did the Film projection theaters overperform with an extra 5% overall box-office as opposed to the digital ones? Why did Interstellar overperform with Film projection theaters as opposed to the digital ones?

Also, shooting on Film is "ego"? Um, k. If you have no argument, sound ignorant if you want.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 6:05 pm

I can tell the difference. I know it's not a big deal, but there IS a difference. Like when I went to go see the Evil Dead remake in theaters, you can obviously tell it was shot digitally. It almost took me out of the movie, because it felt like I was watching the world's biggest television rather than a projector screen.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 6:27 pm

Mecha wrote:
I can tell the difference. I know it's not a big deal, but there IS a difference. Like when I went to go see the Evil Dead remake in theaters, you can obviously tell it was shot digitally. It almost took me out of the movie, because it felt like I was watching the world's biggest television rather than a projector screen.

Most people can tell the difference. The problem is that people nowadays are watching Films projected on digital, which isn't what Film looks like. It's essentially like shooting on 8k and then showing it on a DVD. And even then, it's even worse with Film to digital because you lose part of the analogue color (which isn't "Film grain", btw)

When you show people Film projected, most of them notice a difference. They're not always able to say what it is, but they notice it, nevertheless. There were even two dudes behind me during Hateful Eight who, during the intermission, began talking about how they noticed it looks different than usual, but they couldn't point it out.

Film is what defines movies as being movies. Without it, they're just longer Youtube videos or shorter TV-shows. Digital is nothing more than content. It even looks like a video game, for the most part as well.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Can you tell me a couple of movies that were shot on film in 2015? Because I'm debating with some idiot who is saying that 99% movies were shot on digital last year.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 7:51 pm

Mecha wrote:
Can you tell me a couple of movies that were shot on film in 2015? Because I'm debating with some idiot who is saying that 99% movies were shot on digital last year.

According to Kodak, over 100+ movies were shot exclusively on Film last year, which is a huge increase over the 39 movies that were shot on Film the year before.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/kodak-the-hateful-eight-star-wars-the-force-awakens-bridge-of-spies-1201678064/

http://filmmakermagazine.com/88971-39-movies-released-in-2014-shot-on-35mm/#.Vq1Zh7LhDcs

A direct quote:

Quote :
It has been a banner year for film, with so many award contender movies shot on the medium including: Star Wars, Bridge Of Spies, The Big Short, Carol, Joy, Steve Jobs, Trainwreck, Love And Mercy, Spectre, Black Mass, Mission Impossible and Son Of Saul to name but a few. In all, the better part of 100 movies were shot on film in 2015!

You can also look through this list:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Customers/Productions/default.htm

For a small list of movies shot on Film in 2015/2014/2016. They even have about 3 TV-shows on there as well.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Steve Jobs was shot on film? The fuck? I thought Danny only shoots in digital now?
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 8:10 pm

Mecha wrote:
Steve Jobs was shot on film? The fuck? I thought Danny only shoots in digital now?

It was shot on both (partially.) The beginning is shot on one format, the middle with another and then the last part on yet another format. He used it to portray the difference in time periods and technology being used. 

It's pretty clever, actually.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 8:13 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

It was shot on both (partially.) The beginning is shot on one format, the middle with another and then the last part on yet another format. He used it to portray the difference in time periods and technology being used. 

Oh yeah, I remember now. Don't know why I completely forgot about this? Makes me want to see the film even more now.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 8:15 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Oh yeah, I remember now. Don't know why I completely forgot about this? Makes me want to see the film even more now.

It's easy to forget since it's rarely used that way. I kind of forgot about it myself until I looked it up again, lol.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 8:19 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

It's easy to forget since it's rarely used that way. I kind of forgot about it myself until I looked it up again, lol.

I mean, I can't remember the last time Danny shot on film? He's been using digital since, I don't know, 28 Days Later I'm assuming.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

I mean, I can't remember the last time Danny shot on film? He's been using digital since, I don't know, 28 Days Later I'm assuming.

He shot Millions (2004) on Film. He even shot sunshine on 35mm Film as well.

He also used some Film for certain scenes in 127 hours.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 9:06 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:

Never saw Millions, but I did see 127 Hours and Sunshine before.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

I loved 127 hours. 

I still think it's one of my favorite James Franco performances. In fact, I think it's right below his role in Spring Breakers in terms of how memorable it is.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 9:42 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:

I loved 127 hours. 

I still think it's one of my favorite James Franco performances. In fact, I think it's right below his role in Spring Breakers in terms of how memorable it is.

Yeah, I can't wait for Franco's next movie role. Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital 2505020059
Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital Disast12
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital   Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: Episode IX will be shot on film, not digital
Page 1 of 1