Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oscars

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Oscars - Page 2 Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 10:03 am

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Why not? Anything is possible.

Regarding the Academy? Yeah, no.

Just because it's an action movie? Bull! If The Silence of the Lambs can win for best picture, then so can Mad Max: Fury Road. Sad

When did I mention "action movie" in my comment? Mad Max has zero chance due to the competition this year.

Unless you can argue for 5 reasons why it does, then you can take your bull and Hannibal and cancel them both right away. 

Oscars - Page 2 2505020059

The only reason I mentioned The Silence of the Lambs, is because it's a feminist film just like Mad Max: Fury Road. And people are suckers for that, especially in the SJW era we live in now.

Because the Academy will buy into feminists despite that they never did that in the 1960s, 1970s or even the last two years in a row? Know your audience, Mecha.

Also there is nothing quite like Mad Max: Fury Road. The film made more of an impact than any of the films on that list, so why does something like Spotlight deserve to win more? Because it's based on a true story? That reason alone is not good enough.

Mad Max didn't make any equal impact in the awards circuit nor among votes of that kind. Mad Max is a mainstream movie that's an action franchise, which is the only reason people even noticed it. The Academy almost never gives best-pictures to movies simply because they're popular. You need a better reason that the ACADEMY would go by. Not that you would.

But what do I know? I haven't seen Spotlight yet, so for all I know it could be the greatest film of all time. All I know is, Mad Max: Fury Road shouldn't be seen any less of a film than the other films of the list. George Miller probably worked his ass off to death than any other director that got nominated.

Working your ass off on action scenes =/= quality in terms of story or script.

Best Picture awards are given by the Academy to things the Academy relates to. Like World War II movies or movie satires. Why? 'Cause they're almost all over 60+ and come from a generation of a different taste than you and other mainstream people do. They don't give awards to effort.

Also, the Academy literally invited 300+ new members to try to balance the interest more. The kicker? They can't enter until the other 60+ age members die. That's the rule.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Oscars - Page 2 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 10:20 am

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Because the Academy will buy into feminists despite that they never did that in the 1960s, 1970s or even the last two years in a row? Know your audience, Mecha.

Maybe because all those other feminist films didn't deserve to win?

Mad Max didn't make any equal impact in the awards circuit nor among votes of that kind. Mad Max is a mainstream movie that's an action franchise, which is the only reason people even noticed it. The Academy almost never gives best-pictures to movies simply because they're popular. You need a better reason that the ACADEMY would go by. Not that you would.

Or maybe because it's just that good?

Working your ass off on action scenes =/= quality in terms of story or script.

Best Picture awards are given by the Academy to things the Academy relates to. Like World War II movies or movie satires. Why? 'Cause they're almost all over 60+ and come from a generation of a different taste than you and other mainstream people do. They don't give awards to effort.

Also, the Academy literally invited 300+ new members to try to balance the interest more. The kicker? They can't enter until the other 60+ age members die. That's the rule.

I find it ridiculous that a film can't win just because it's mainstream. You're telling me that even if that one mainstream movie is a better film than the WWII or based on true story films, it still doesn't deserve to win? Now that isn't fair.

By the way, Mad Max is like a 40+ year-old franchise. Surely a lot of the members must have been fans of the Mad Max films when they were younger.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Oscars - Page 2 Z4pMElY

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 10:40 am

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Maybe because all those other feminist films didn't deserve to win?

So what is the difference between feminist movies like Mad Max and all the other ones? Your only argument was, and still is: "It's an SJW/feminist movie, which is a hot topic today"

Which is quite ironic of an argument, because feminism is less popular than ever. Within the past two years in a row, the 28% of Americans that were feminist dropped to only 18%. You know what else changed? Humanism became more popular.

And how many feminist-driven movies won best-picture for the past 40 years? How many feminist-driven movies got nominated? I can count movies from Trainwreck to Spy all the way over to Joy. Only 1 got nominated. No best-picture, though.

Try to research what you're trying to argue for.

Or maybe because it's just that good?

So Mad Max didn't make any impact in the awards circus and has no value to Academy on a general basis as opposed to films like Revenant and Spotlight because Max "is just that good"? You kind of need an argument, Mecha, and not your own biased opinion.

I find it ridiculous that a film can't win just because it's mainstream. You're telling me that even if that one mainstream movie is a better film than the WWII or based on true story films, it still doesn't deserve to win? Now that isn't fair.

1. I never said a mainstream movie can't win.

2. I clearly stated they don't win based on popularity alone, which is what you argued against in your first case.

3. Whether I think it deserves to win has no impact.

4. The Oscars are not meant to make mainstream people feel smart. They're a political way for the Academy to boost the box-office gross of certain movies through oscar season (hence, why almost all nominees come out that time), and to promote more movies of a certain kind. Mad Max fits none of those two basic Oscar criterias.

By the way, Mad Max is like a 40+ year-old franchise. Surely a lot of the members must have been fans of the Mad Max films when they were younger.

Just like they were of Star Wars or movies like that? The Academy would've been over 20-30 by the time the first one came out and they never gave Best-picture wins to those movies when they were even younger. Or any movie like Max or Star Wars since, well... Almost ever.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Just saw The Revenant last night. Really hoping that Leo wins that Oscar this time around. He was phenomenal in the film.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Oscars - Page 2 R5MQPRE

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 12:27 pm

Archduke wrote:
Just saw The Revenant last night. Really hoping that Leo wins that Oscar this time around. He was phenomenal in the film.

But if that happens, there will be no more Leo memes. ;-(
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 12:33 pm

That would be a good thing, because memes in general are fucking cancerous.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Oscars - Page 2 TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Archduke wrote:
That would be a good thing, because memes in general are fucking cancerous.
but you're the memest memeber of the forum
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 8:44 pm

No I'm not. You and Mecha are memer than I am.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Oscars - Page 2 Z4pMElY

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 12:22 am

Archduke wrote:
No I'm not. You and Mecha are memer than I am.

If you like to believe so.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Oscars - Page 2 TM4C7lj
UK

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 5:33 am

props to whichever mod changed member to memeber in my post.

Also this meme is so butthrut he actually downvoted my post, he's literally Plebbit the meme
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 8:00 pm

Fuck off ya dumb cuck.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Oscars - Page 2 Z4pMElY

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 8:12 pm

Archduke wrote:
Fuck off ya dumb cuck.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 8:28 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Archduke wrote:
Fuck off ya dumb cuck.

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Oscars - Page 2 R5MQPRE

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 8:34 pm

Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Oscars - Page 2 TM4C7lj
UK

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 11:51 am

Archduke wrote:
Fuck off ya dumb cuck.
meme
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Oscars - Page 2 Z4pMElY

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 1:03 pm

Lily wrote:
Archduke wrote:
Fuck off ya dumb cuck.
meme

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Oscars - Page 2 R5MQPRE

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 7:59 am

Okay, today is the day folks! The Oscars will start at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m.

Here's a link to the live streaming...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Or you can just watch it on ABC.

I will be on the chat tonight. Oscars - Page 2 2505020059
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Oscars - Page 2 Z4pMElY

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 2:35 pm

I'll be on G7 once it starts.

I'll watch it on my TV, though, but my PC is right next to it, so I'll do both, at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Oscars - Page 2 R5MQPRE

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 2:52 pm

I'll have to watch it on my laptop, since I don't have cable. Unless I can able to stream it on my PS4's web browser.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Oscars - Page 2 Z4pMElY

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Mecha wrote:
I'll have to watch it on my laptop, since I don't have cable. Unless I can able to stream it on my PS4's web browser.

You don't need cable to see it in Denmark.

That Danish ghetto privilege. Oscars - Page 2 2505020059
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Oscars - Page 2 R5MQPRE

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 4:22 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Nikka, pls! There is no cable in the tough streets of Copenhagen, because y'all dance to Barbie Girl all day. Oscars - Page 2 2505020059
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Oscars - Page 2 Z4pMElY

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Nikka, pls! There is no cable in the tough streets of Copenhagen, because y'all dance to Barbie Girl all day. Oscars - Page 2 2505020059

True. Oscars - Page 2 2505020059
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Oscars - Page 2 R5MQPRE

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 3:56 am

Welp. Mad Max: Fury Road didn't win best picture. But at least it won other 6 awards, which no one else can say. Oscars - Page 2 2505020059

Also R.I.P. Leo memes. Sad

Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Oscars - Page 2 Z4pMElY

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 6:15 am

Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Oscars - Page 2 TM4C7lj
UK

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 7:35 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oscars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscars   Oscars - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oscars
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next