Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?

Go down 
+3
yonny616
Mecha
Stigma
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 1:22 am

I'm getting mixed results on this, some websites say the PS4 does not support it others say they do, and some other forum I read says they have to jump through a lot of hoops to get externals to work but the thread was pretty old. I want a 2TB hard drive, external and internal costs the same but with an external I effectively have 2.5TB instead of just 2. I found some hard drives that advertise that they work on Xbox One but don't say anything about PS4, so can anyone confirm that external hard drives work or don't work on PS4?
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 1:30 am

I'm getting mixed results as well. I can't seem to find a clear answer?
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 11:50 pm

I'll leave this here:

http://techland.time.com/2013/09/04/yes-the-playstation-4-supports-external-storage-but-theres-a-catch/
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 12:10 am

Most externals are NTFS formatted so the PS4 wouldn't recognise it unless you format it to FAT32 or exFAT like most USB/thumb drives. Even if you get it to work, you won't be able to install any games on it. Just save files, gameplays and screenshots. Xbox One is probably more friendly since it's PC younger and dumber brother.

Upgrading the internal HDD is the only solution in terms of more storage for game installs and content. You can get a 7200rpm HDD for faster installs and load times but come at a cost for using more power and heat. The default drives that comes with PS4 is a 5400rpm model
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 5:48 am

Doesn't work lad I tried it at my son's house and it was totally fucked
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 8:53 am

Microsoft and Sony really cheaped out on the harddrive. Not just in terms of performance, but even in terms of capacity.

If you're going to stick with a shitty 5400 RPM, atleast make it 1.5 - 2 TB.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 7:57 pm

When they first released the details about the hard drives for PS4 before and during release, they made it seem like it was such an easy thing to do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 1:39 am

The_Biotic_God wrote:
Microsoft and Sony really cheaped out on the harddrive. Not just in terms of performance, but even in terms of capacity.

If you're going to stick with a shitty 5400 RPM, atleast make it 1.5 - 2 TB.

It really isn't much of a difference in load and install times between the two models. It's not like going from a HDD to SSD.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 4:24 am

Well thanks for the help laddies. I ended up buying a 2TB 5400RPM internal hard drive on Amazon. I couldn't find any 2TB/7200 RPM that would fit the PS4 (although there were plenty of external ones Not sure)

But either way I'm happy that I got a larger hard drive so I can actually buy games for it. Was sick and tired of deleting stuff. For real when you account for updates, patches, and DLC, and maybe a few gameplay clips and a few free indie games you realistically have space for like 5 full games. Honestly this 2TB hard drive will most likely be full again by the end of the year, but at least the deleting and reinstalling will be less frequent.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 12:20 pm

2TB fill by the end of the year? Damn bro lol. I still haven't filled up the memory that came with the PS4. To be fair, I haven't been majorly gaming plus I uninstall a lot of stuff that I don't use.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 1:30 am

Teckno wrote:
2TB fill by the end of the year? Damn bro lol. I still haven't filled up the memory that came with the PS4. To be fair, I haven't been majorly gaming plus I uninstall a lot of stuff that I don't use.

Well 2TB is actually like 1.4TB since you can't use 30% of it. The average game with it's patches and updates is like 50GB. I have full 10 games now, and there's a lot of games coming out the rest of this year that I'll buy for sure like Disgaea 5, Persona 5, Fallout 4, possible Just Cause 3 and Blobs 3 if zombies mode is good, and I'll pick up MGSV eventually. Plus others I was waiting for a price drop on like Dragon Age Inquisition, Farcry 4, ESO, and maybe I'll pick up one of those weeb games. Then the other 400GB will probably be filled up by F2P games and PSN+ free games, and probably some games that get put on sale.

Last edited by Stigma on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 7:50 pm

@Teckno
Some space is reserved for the operating system and future updates.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 11:12 pm

Do you guys buy digital or physical?
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 11:23 pm

Teckno wrote:
Do you guys buy digital or physical?

Physical usually. Digital when games are on sale at huge discounts. It uses up the same amount of space either way.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 7:46 pm

It's actually got 1.77TB available, more than I thought nice. Anyone else upgrade past the shitty 500GB yet?
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Physical mostly.

Haven't upgraded yet. Maybe by the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2016 7:47 pm

It was the seagate that I had bought. Still got plenty of space for it actually didn't buy as many games as I thought i would.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 11:27 am

Stigma wrote:
It was the seagate that I had bought. Still got plenty of space for it actually didn't buy as many games as I thought i would.

Was it relatively easy to install into the PS4? Probably going to get one myself.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Teckno wrote:
Stigma wrote:

Was it relatively easy to install into the PS4? Probably going to get one myself.

Yeah like a two minute job. Just don't drop the screws because they are really small.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?   Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use external hard drives on their PS4?
Page 1 of 1