Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 Empty
PostSubject: Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76   Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 Wes-craven-dead
Quote :
Legendary horror director Wes Craven, known for the “Scream” films, “Nightmare on Elm Street” and more, has died of brain cancer. He was 76.

Known for creating the iconic Freddy Krueger character from “Nightmare on Elm Street” and Ghostface in “Scream,” the versatile filmmaker also wrote and produced features, directed for television and wrote novels.

Craven’s first feature was the controversial shocker “The Last House on the Left,” which he wrote, directed an edited in 1972. He followed with the blackly comic “The Hills Have Eyes” and “Swamp Thing,” an early entry in the comic book genre.

He wrote and directed “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” with Johnny Depp, in 1984. The surreal slasher pic is credited with having started the “rubber reality” style of 1980s horror filmmakers.

“Serpent and the Rainbow,” in 1988, was based on non-fiction book about voodoo.

Craven tried his hand at non-horror fare between “Scream 2” and “Scream 3” with “Music of the Heart” in 1999, for which Meryl Streep was Oscar-nommed for best actress. He also wrote a novel, “The Fountain Society,” that year.

He mixed it up again with 2005 psychological thriller “Red Eye” and with a romantic comedy segment in “Paris Je t’aime,” then produced remakes of his earlier films “The Hills Have Eyes” and “The Last House on the Left.”

In the 1990s he pioneered the meta horror movie with film-within-a-film “Wes Craven’s New Nightmare,” then followed with “Scream” in 1996. The film sparked three more installments and grossed more than $100 million domestically. Starring Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox and David Arquette, it became a cultural phenomenon and inspired the “Scary Movie” spoof series.

He had recently signed an overall television deal with Universal Cable Productions and television projects in development including “The People Under the Stairs” with Syfy Networks, “Disciples” with UCP, “We Are All Completely Fine” with Syfy/UCP, and “Sleepers” with Federation Entertainment.  He was also executive producing the new “Scream” series for MTV. His most recent films were 2010’s “My Soul to Take” and “Scream 4” in 2011.

Craven had recently written and was to direct the “Thou Shalt Not Kill” segment for the Weinstein Company/WGN’s “Ten Commandments” television miniseries.  He had also been working on a graphic novel series based on his original idea “Coming of Rage” for Liquid Comics, in collaboration with Steve Niles. He was exec producer of “The Girl in the Photographs” which will premiere in Toronto.

Born August 2, 1939, in Cleveland, Ohio, the longtime bird lover served as a longtime member of the Audubon California Board of Directors.

“I am heartbroken at the news of Wes Craven’s passing,” Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company and Dimension Films, said in a statement. “We enjoyed a 20 year professional relationship and more importantly a warm and close friendship.  He was a consummate filmmaker and his body of work will live on forever. My brother and I are eternally grateful for all his collaborations with us.  Our deepest sympathy to his family.”

Craven is survived by his wife, producer and former Disney Studios VP Iya Labunka; sister Carol Buhrow; son Jonathan Craven; daughter Jessica Craven; stepdaughter Nina Tarnawksy and three grandchildren.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/wes-craven-dead-scream-nightmare-on-elm-street-1201581630/

Oh no! Sad This horror genius is gone now. RIP Wes Craven.

Last edited by yonny616 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76   Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 11:07 pm

I totally wasn't expecting this today. Sad
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76   Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 12:17 am

Mecha wrote:
I totally wasn't expecting this today. Sad
Me neither. Sad way for me to end an otherwise good day.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76   Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 12:48 pm

Kinda makes you appreciate Scream 4 a little more.

Also kinda odd he died in between the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot announcement and Halloween.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76   Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wes Craven Passes Away At Age 76
Page 1 of 1