Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"

Go down 
+12
BioDemon
The_Biotic_God
Stoney
Gutzahn
2Sugoi2Die
Based Sonji
Bluenose
Orc
Archduke
Orion
yonny616
RamboOnRedBull
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 9:47 am

2Sugoi2Die wrote:
Archduke wrote:
I guess we're all on the "Wait-and-See how much this game flops" bandwagon for this game, then.

Ku~

:dsp1: 
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Stories should be a priority. That doesn't mean gameplay has to be ridiculously linear and boring.

I think games that try to chase the movie-model of storytelling often times fail because of the obvious difference in mediums.

Some of the best videogame stories come from RPGs and open-world action adventure games.
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

Stature : 48
America

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 11:39 pm

Tbh, I really can't stand linearity at all anymore, if I can't explore and make decisions I feel like I may as well just be watching a film.

Also plz stop with "it's what the devs want to deliver, stfu."
Feedback is CRITICAL in the gaming industry, the reason we keep getting these shitty movie-games is because Sony fans eat the shit up because it's excloosive and Sony gets no negative feedback.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 3:50 pm

^^

lol, wut. Developers should make the game they want to make, not the ones the fans want them to make. It's their art, let them do what they want. You don't like linear games? Don't fucking buy them. I really enjoyed the Last of Us, Uncharted, and other linear games, so I'll keep buying them. I'm not gonna be ignorant about it and not buy them.

Game does look boring right now, guess we'll have to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Based Sonji wrote:
^^

lol, wut. Developers should make the game they want to make, not the ones the fans want them to make. It's their art, let them do what they want. You don't like linear games? Don't fucking buy them. I really enjoyed the Last of Us, Uncharted, and other linear games, so I'll keep buying them. I'm not gonna be ignorant about it and not buy them.

Linear games are lazy
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Bio and Sonji you're both right.

I agree Sonji, that developers should be able to make what they want and if you don't like, don't buy.

However I am with Bio that I don't really like linearity. I can put up with it sometimes but eh, I feel we've got to a stage where games don't need to be linear anymore and I would prefer if the developers put in that bit more effort to deliver a slightly more open experience. And also yeah, Sony fanboys praise everything that comes to PS4. Like that game Let It Die. If that was on Xbox, you can imagine how many playstation fanboys would jump on that and call it shit and ps2 graphics, etc etc
Back to top Go down
Gutzahn
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Gutzahn

Stature : 21

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Orion wrote:

Linear games are lazy
Can you do something else than trying to make people mad or something for once ?
You can't possibly be this ignorant. I am pretty sure you  are overexaggerating every goddamn time you write something here.
I don't want to attack you out of nowhere here, since I usually try to look past the stuff that bothers me on this forum in order to avoid the stupid flaming that goes on from time to time. But it really gets exhausting that we can never have a real discussion or atleast people posting their honest opinions here because half of the people start to post baits or snark some bs because they can't be bothered to think about it for more than a second or give any arguments that underline their thoughts.

@ Sawed_off
of course. Thats what fanboys do. It's kind of the definition really.

I think there is a definitiv plus side to linear games. The level/mission quality on average is way higher in more linear games, same often goes for characters. NOT ALL OF THEM, but on average. This applies to certain other elements as well. For a shorter duration you get a more intense experience is what I feel. Of course there is a limit. I don't want to be locked in a super tight corridor all the time, but with some more open arenas inbetween, like in Tlou or even Journey you can mix things up enough to make a very entertaining game all the way.

I often think open world games have a high risk to feel fake and shallow (once again NOT ALL OF THEM, I have no onesided love for either linear nor open) since you get to see clones of the same building or npc very often. They often try to be way too big instead of filling the blank space with something meaningfull. So I would say that there is a definitiv risk for me that a world end up not engaging me.
There are not many open worlds that kept me engaged once I finished the main quest/mission/story.

Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 8:19 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
Like that game Let It Die. If that was on Xbox, you can imagine how many playstation fanboys would jump on that and call it shit and ps2 graphics, etc etc

Speaking of that game, it's getting a lot a bad reaction, because it's going to be a F2P game with asynchronous online (If you ever played Draw Something, someone draws a picture to another user. That user can guess the picture one day after the picture was drawn). Also, they ditched Lily Bergamo for a F2P game. Lol fuck Suda.

I do agree that PS fanboys call Xbox games shit, but it's the same vice versa. Same with Nintendo fans. Fanboys will always be dumb.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
Bio and Sonji you're both right.

I agree Sonji, that developers should be able to make what they want and if you don't like, don't buy.

However I am with Bio that I don't really like linearity. I can put up with it sometimes but eh, I feel we've got to a stage where games don't need to be linear anymore and I would prefer if the developers put in that bit more effort to deliver a slightly more open experience. And also yeah, Sony fanboys praise everything that comes to PS4. Like that game Let It Die. If that was on Xbox, you can imagine how many playstation fanboys would jump on that and call it shit and ps2 graphics, etc etc

lol people actually praised that Let It Die game? We don't even know anything about it.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Isn't Let It Die an indie game? It's also a F2P game so who care what the graphics look like?
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Based Sonji wrote:
^^

TLOU and Uncharted are not as linear as what we have seen from The Order. In fact, TLOU often times allow you to take a variety of approaches to get through a level.

You're confusing good storytelling with linearity...
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 10:46 am

Gutzahn wrote:
Orion wrote:

Linear games are lazy
Can you do something else than trying to make people mad or something for once ?
You can't possibly be this ignorant. I am pretty sure you  are overexaggerating every goddamn time you write something here.
I don't want to attack you out of nowhere here, since I usually try to look past the stuff that bothers me on this forum in order to avoid the stupid flaming that goes on from time to time. But it really gets exhausting that we can never have a real discussion or atleast people posting their honest opinions here because half of the people start to post baits or snark some bs because they can't be bothered to think about it for more than a second or give any arguments that underline their thoughts.

@ Sawed_off
of course. Thats what fanboys do. It's kind of the definition really.

I think there is a definitiv plus side to linear games. The level/mission quality on average is way higher in more linear games, same often goes for characters. NOT ALL OF THEM, but on average. This applies to certain other elements as well. For a shorter duration you get a more intense experience is what I feel. Of course there is a limit. I don't want to be locked in a super tight corridor all the time, but with some more open arenas inbetween, like in Tlou or even Journey you can mix things up enough to make a very entertaining game all the way.

I often think open world games have a high risk to feel fake and shallow (once again NOT ALL OF THEM, I have no onesided love for either linear nor open) since you get to see clones of the same building or npc very often. They often try to be way too big instead of filling the blank space with something meaningfull. So I would say that there is a definitiv risk for me that a world end up not engaging me.
There are not many open worlds that kept me engaged once I finished the main quest/mission/story.

That was beautifully explained, especially the level/mission quality of non-linear games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 11:51 am

Some times linearity works, other times it's just too linear and becomes more like a cutscene.

Also enjoy that beautiful 3 hour cutscene http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/26610/article/rumor-the-order-1886-is-only-three-hours-long-claims-european-insider/
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Orion wrote:
Some times linearity works, other times it's just too linear and becomes more like a cutscene.

Also enjoy that beautiful 3 hour cutscene http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/26610/article/rumor-the-order-1886-is-only-three-hours-long-claims-european-insider/

B-B-BUT ITZ A PRAYSTRESHUN EXCLOOSIVE!
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 1:18 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Orion wrote:

Yeah, like THE HALO KILLER!
The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 256px-Haze_boxart
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 1:53 pm

Orion wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Orion wrote:

Yeah, like THE HALO KILLER!
The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 256px-Haze_boxart

Yeah, like THE MOST ORIGINAL STORY ABOUT AN OUTBREAK!!!

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 The-last-of-us-violence
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Haters gonna hate.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 5:11 pm

That 3 hours rumor was total bullshit. People are hating and making too many clickbait articles and comments about this game that are undeserved.

Good article on The Order 1886 fiasco.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/daryno90/2015/02/14/282

Quote :
By Friday, the long awaited game The Order 1886 is finally coming out on the PS4. Ready at Dawn have a impressive track record with games like Daxter and the God of War games on the PSP (all three of those games are considered to be some of the best for the handheld) and even did a port of Okami to the Wii. While those games were based on a existing franchise, The Order 1886 is their first IP. Graphically, the game looks amazing, perhaps even the best looking game yet. Pre-order numbers for the game have also be very good and there are rumors saying that Sony purchase Ready at Dawn after the release.

So my question is, what if with all of the hate that the game have been getting from several sites? Here is a few examples of what I am talking about:

http://n4g.com/news/1668485/the-order-1886-represents-many-things-wrong-with-modern-gaming

http://n4g.com/news/1667596/is-the-order-1886-ruining-bloodbornes-hype

http://n4g.com/news/1664693/is-sony-pushing-the-order-1886-too-heavily

http://n4g.com/news/1659734/is-the-lack-of-multiplay-in-the-order-1886-a-dealbreaker

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/26610/article/rumor-the-order-1886-is-only-three-hours-long-claims-european-insider/ Most of these articles aren't even previews, just seem to be a attempt to bash the game. It seem to have gotten so bad that even the developers are getting fed up with it. http://gearnuke.com/order-1886-not-downgraded-retail-build-footage-dev-fed-false-rumors/ That one link is to a article that said there were claims that the graphics were down graded using images of the game from earlier build of it. But the article pointed out that the retail version actually look better. So I don't understand why this game have been getting so much hate from the media. I don't think I remembered any other games that have been getting this much hate before launch in a long time.

Now a lot of those rumors have actually been debunked like the rumor saying the game is three hours long since it have been confirmed to have 24 chapters and one article said that they beat the game on its hardest setting in 18 hours (not sure it is true but I would say it is more reasonable than 3 hours long). One of the main criticism that I heard about that doesn't sound fair to me is its lack of innovation. Now while innovation is very important in game why does The Order 1886 have to be when so many other games get a pass for it. Take a look at Call of Duty for example. Now I don't want to make Call of Duty seem bad but I think a lot would agreed that the series have changed very little with each release but still get a solid score and considered one of the best shooter each year (heck IGN gave Ghost a 8.8). There are other examples as well but not quite at the level of CoD.

Another criticism I have heard was that it is a linear game. I am not really sure why this is such a negative thing considering how the game is going to be very story driven. There have been plenty of games that were pretty linear that were great and consider to be some of the best games around. Games like Uncharted and The Last of Us were linear in nature too. I understand that games shouldn't be too linear but from what I have saw of The Order 1886, it doesn't seem to be that linear to where it feel like it is on rail.

I think that the reason all of this hate that the game have been getting is really unfair because it is clear that a lot of tender, love and care went into this game. The developer thrive to make the setting advanced for the era but believable at the same time and put much detail in the game. It just seem like they put so much effort into this game that it doesn't seem fair that it is getting all of these click bait articles and false rumors around it.

But despite all of these articles, there are several sites that have a lot of positive things to say about it. Hopefully when the game release more sites will appreciate the game for what it does. I am excited for it and I really do think that this game will be something special.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 6:22 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 7:29 pm

@Mecha just don't post at all if you are going to do that
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 5:38 am

Quote :
One of the main criticism that I heard about that doesn't sound fair to me is its lack of innovation. Now while innovation is very important in game why does The Order 1886 have to be when so many other games get a pass for it. Take a look at Call of Duty for example. 

Because Call of Duty ALWAYS gets a free pass, right? Not like the games have been filled with hate articles and lower review scores for over 4 years in a row. eye roll
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Is The Order: 1886 too short? “We’re not going to comment,” says developer

Quote :
Ready at Dawn, developer of The Order: 1886, has said it won’t comment directly on the length of the game.

The new PS4 exclusive is being criticised for lasting for less than six hours in total despite it being a full-priced release.
Speaking to Eurogamer, CEO of Ready at Dawn Ru Weerasuriya refused to clarify average playtime for the game, and said his team was not going to discuss length despite videos on YouTube showing the entire game completed in 5 hours and 30 minutes.
“At the end of the day, we’re not going to comment on it,” he said. “We can’t stop people from writing the things they do. And we’re not going to jump at every single mistake that is made out there.
“Every time somebody has the wrong impression of something we made, or somebody writes the wrong thing about what we did, it would be a full-time job to be like, oh no, that’s not right. We make games. We do what we do for the players. And, ultimately, that’s where I want to leave it.”
Weerasuriya said he understood the concerns about value for money in the single-player game, but he believes the games business should offer diverse experiences.
“To tell you the truth, that’s something we always keep in our heads. We know people want to be entertained and have things they can play longer.
“But the industry has always had diversity. You go back 10 years, there were a lot of games that were just single-player, one time play. There were some games that were single-player and you could jump back in and get more. That’s what we did in our game. You can jump back and get other things out of it.”
“Gameplay length for me is so relative to quality. It’s just like a movie. Just because a movie is three hours long, it doesn’t make it better,” he added.

Source: VG247
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 am

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-order-1886

B-B-B-BUT ITZ A SONY EXCLOOSIVE! I love you

EDIT:

Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2015 10:32 am

Well that's disappointing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next