Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits

Go down 
+5
The_Biotic_God
2Sugoi2Die
Bluenose
Archduke
RamboOnRedBull
9 posters
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits Empty
PostSubject: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 3:25 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-22-sony-ps4-likely-to-exceed-profits-earned-from-ps2

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits 1514984_0

Quote :
The PlayStation 4 is off to a strong start, with seven million units sold since it launched in November 2013

But what's the long term view?

During a corporate strategy meeting today, reported on by Japanese website Impress Watch and spotted by NeoGAF, Sony boss Kaz Hirai said that the strong hardware sales, coupled with the growing popularity of digital services, should allow the PS4 to produce profits beyond what Sony managed with PlayStation 2 - the best-selling console of all time.
Here's the direct quote, translated for Eurogamer by Digital Foundry contributor John Linneman.
"It is likely that PS4 will become the platform which exceeds the profits earned with PS2."
Before the quote, there is a line not in quotes, which specifies strong sales and network services as a driving factor.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 4:01 pm

That would be insane if that actually happened. The PS2 is the best-selling home video-game console of ALL-TIME. The PS4 has a long way to go before it can reach profits like that.

EDIT: Found this in the comment section. lmao Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits 220138985_198497
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 6:27 pm

Even if the PS4 is selling well compared to it's competitors that's a pretty bold statement.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Didn't the PS2 sell something like 120 million units? That's a far fetched number goal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Yeah because there was nothing else out at the time besides the GameCube and Sega pretty much dropped out after the failure of the Dream Cast. Then again, most people who bought a PS2 pretty much used it as a DVD player and lets not forget that this fucker was selling well into 7th generation at a dirt cheap price. The Wii couldn't outsell it and that was a fucking pop culture success. If anything, the PS4 and Xbone will probably at least see Wii sales numbers by the the end of 8th generation given how trendy gaming consoles have become since half way through 7th generation.

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits BfJ05hz
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Teckno wrote:
Didn't the PS2 sell something like 120 million units? That's a far fetched number goal.

155 Million units, actually.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 11:32 pm

It's not a bold statement.

You guys don't understand how much both Sony and MS cheaped out on the parts this time around. The only relatively expensive component on the PS4 is GDDR5. In previous generations Sony was losing money on every system sold. Now they get around 10 dollars profit on each system.

Considering everyone and their grandmother has internet now a days that pretty much guarantees that the vast majority of PS4 owners will have PS+. That's practically 50 dollars profit on each user. PS2 didn't have that luxury. Even if the PS4 sells only as much as the PS3 by the end of its life, it'll still generate more profit than the PS2.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 1:51 am

You guys just got Anal'd!
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 3:15 am

Consoles are either sold at a lost or for a very small profit. The real money maker are from the first party titles and the licensing from 3rd parties. So what is one thing the PS4 is lacking right now hmm? Like I always said, the console doesn't mean jack all if there is no games for it. Nintendo also cheap out on hardware for the Wii U and look how that end but I guess you can blame the really shitty marketing behind it.

Those free games we get from Sony for paying for PS+ aren't free to them. Considering that you pretty much have to pay for PS+ if you want game online on PS4 now so of course there is going to be an increase of subscribers but that doesn't mean everyone who buys a PS4 is going to pay for PS+. Then again, PS+ isn't a bad deal at all since the the user wins and the developer wins.

luxuries haha, having a gaming console that can play the newest video format is a luxury back in early 2000's.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 12:02 pm

The PS4 just came out... It's a given that both its 1st and 3rd party libraries will expand over the years.

That's another thing too.....PS4 is much easier to develop for than previous PlayStation consoles.  That means it should excel on the 3rd party front.

~$70 million dollars in profit on hardware alone isn't small. That's enough to fund an AAA game or two.

The PS4 is considerably cheaper to produce than the PS3 or even the PS2 at their respective launches. Meaning very soon they will be able to sell the console at even cheaper prices. As a result it will sell faster in every market. It will inevitably generate more profits than the PS2.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 4:21 pm

It will definitely make more profits like Alan said, but, exceed actual unit sales? Unlikely.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 11:10 am

Well if this gen does last 10+ years, it is possible.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Maybe they could use some of that money to make decent games instead of shit like killzone shadowfall or drive club.

Or support the vita. But that's a pipe dream.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Ys: Celceta
Watching : Darksydephil

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 11:06 pm

Stigma wrote:
Maybe they could use some of that money to make decent games instead of shit like killzone shadowfall or drive club.

Or support the vita. But that's a pipe dream.

I expect they'll show more support for the vita soon.  They won't just give up on PS Now, Vita TV, and PS Vita.  Hopefully sales this Christmas are impressive enough.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 3:39 am

Lol Vita is long dead and gone, only support it'll get is occasional low budget weeb shit
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 5:04 pm

Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 1:43 am

Thinking about it now I'm guessing they are counting profits from PSN plus so with that in mind PS4 could surpass PS2 profits but I doubt it will pass it in sales.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Unfortunately I don't think it will be enough to save their dying phone business.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Phone business is a completely different division, they already mentioned their plans about that.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 5:08 pm

Yeah but there is a channeling of money as a whole in the company.

I don't think PS4 sales will provide enough revenue for Sony to pump some of that in the Xperia line.
Too bad though. The Xperia is a fantastic looking phone. All it needs to do is cut the price and get rid of or modify their God awful Android skin.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 5:13 pm

It's departmentalization. They act as two supporting entities within one organization, it's very abnormal to let one be drain on the other.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 11:59 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits   Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sony: PS4 to exceed PS2 Profits
Page 1 of 1